This listed building has the exceptional property that both the volume and appearance have largely remained unchanged since 1596.
The project ambition was to revitalize this building in a respectful, honest, tasteful manner, taking into account the economic context, but without being a slave to it.
Originally, the front facade was plastered with a lime mortar. To bring back some unity and tranquility and to protect the façades, it was again clad with white lime mortar. The front door is brought back to the original state, where the baroque stone frame is resized to match the historic opening.
The ground floor remains accessible via the front door in the Keizerstraat. The garage at the back of the inner area connects to an already exhiting open patio, which gives light and air to the whole. The gate in the Paternosterstraat gives access to the upper floors via the patio. Part of the garage was retained and serves as a bicycle storage area and space for garbage bins. This storage room has been covered with a green roof and two balconies were added to the inner patio.
The function of the building has always been living and working, in all its forms and variations. The design provides the same rearranged function. The ground floor becomes a multifunctional commercial space, the floors are furnished to be compact apartments and an atelier space is created in the attic.
Furthermore, the roofs have been insulated and the floors have been acustically insulated in a way that the existing wooden grid structure would be preserved.